Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Frugal Momma Loves Fall

What is Frugal Momma?
Well, I am a frugal momma and I know many other moms who are as well. As moms with only 1 child or 5 children we are women who live life frugally without being boring. I have now been married almost 4 years and I have an 8 month old son. I do not consider myself boring or cheap. Not at all! 

I have been blessed by the Lord with a wonderful husband and son. We have been blessed with a family, jobs, a house, a car and many talents. I strongly believe that we are to be good stewards of the many things that we have been blessed with. We are not to squander our earnings or lose sight of the important things in life (namely the things above) by living in the world. I often think of the passage in Philippians:

 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me--practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.   

I am often a worrier, someone concerned with the outcome of almost everything, and yet, I am usually at these times not thinking about Christ and the honorable things and promises and gifts. I am working on this constantly. My everyday life should reflect more of this passage. Now, before you start thinking... 'uhm, what does frugal momma have to do with any of this?' - I must say, I am a mostly stay-at-home mom. I take care of my son all day, teach violin lessons, sing in the church choir and keep the house. This is how I pave the way for my family to honor Christ. I do these things through Christ Jesus as a wife and mother. This does not mean that I must twiddle my thumbs and make sure that every piece of fabric is ironed and every surface dust free. No, I will give glory to God with my talents, I will think and dwell on the things that are pure and true and honorable - - - and I want to do this with you! I want to share ways of being frugal, loving your family, loving your friends and doing so with a cheerful heart. 

So, today I want to tell you about my alternative to buying and lighting those amazing fall scented candles. I have made some friends here in Nashville that cannot be around chemical scents. Perfumes, candles, cologne... you name it. So, I don't want them to never be able to come to my house (because I love smell-good things - especially in the fall) - so, I looked around. And on Pinterest I found Simmer-Pots. 

Amazing. 

No chemicals, just lovely Fall-Goodness simmering away in a pot. (Cheaper than candles, smell better than candles and usually I'm eating this stuff anyways - so now, I am just not wasting anything!)
I used the oranges, lemons and apples - eat them and then save the peels.

I then punched some cloves into the orange peels, filled a sauce pan with some water, boiled it with all my ingredients for a few minutes then turned it on simmer. I have orange peels, lemon peels, apple peels, cloves and a stick of cinnamon in this pot.


About every 45 minutes I would add a little bit more water. I live in a 3 bedroom 2 story duplex, and this little pot filled the whole house with lovely fall smells.


One of my favorite verses hanging out in the kitchen.


This is how I keep the house smelling wonderful. 

What do you use? I am wanting to try to lavender and eucalyptus soon in a simmer-pot but I have such a thing for fall smells. 

Let's follow the Lord together and build each other up! I want to hear your ideas and encourage you as a mom, engaged lady or single friend. Let me encourage you in the ways that I can as Julie to help you see Christ more clearly. Drop me an email or a facebook and let me know what I can do for you.

In Christ,
Frugal Momma 

4 comments:

  1. Nice! I look forward to reading these, Julzie!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet your house smells great. I look forward to reading about your projects and wish you the best in your frugal endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet that smells AWESOME!! I might have to give it a try....although I would probably burn up a pot if I didn't add more water! Could you do this in the crock pot and get the same effect? hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Elsa - The house does smell wonderful - - it even reached upstairs! It's crazy! @Vanessa - I thought the same thing, my parents used a little crockpot, so after doing this I went out and bought one from Goodwill, it worked for the kitchen, but not the whole house... I'm thinking it may have just been not a very good crockpot?

    ReplyDelete