Monday, October 24, 2011

Today's Coffee: Harvest Dark Roast

Tomorrow, Wilson will be 8 months old. It's insane how fast babies grow up. I remember the first few weeks thinking "he's not getting bigger, he's not ever going to stop crying, he's not ever going to learn how to play with all these toys" - boy was I wrong. And now, I kind of miss those early days when he would sleep for hours and I would just hold him and kiss him. Now, he's big and squirmy and while he wants to be held he usually wants me to hold him so he can reach for something he's not supposed to have. Like cellphones. Or laptops. 8 months. I'm just stunned. I've already been thinking about his first Christmas (he'll be 10 months) and his first birthday party. I mean, c'mon momma, where did the time go? 

This past weekend we were blessed to have Thomas' parents visit us. Not only were they so kind to bring a yummy apple pie, pumpkin bread and a casserole but they also brought us their rocking chair. I love it already. I loved it the first night when Wilson only got up twice and instead of bringing him to our room to feed him, I could just feed him in his room. I loved it last night when I had to get up 3 times with him. How did I go so long without a rocking chair? Wilson doesn't get to see his grandparents as much as we would like (distance is really hard!) but after the initial few hours he warmed right up again and was giving his impish smiles! 
That's a good looking family right there! I would also like to add that this was the first and only try to get a good picture. We rock!
Thomas' birthday was a huge success! We found great pumpkins, Thomas and I got to go out to dinner and Wilson loved helping Daddy open gifts!

He mainly wanted the bag, but he was kind enough to look at all the goodies with Daddy!
Wilson loved this pumpkin! (Check out that dimple!)

We are also so excited to tell you that Faith will be living with us next semester! We had so much fun with her visit that we just want her to stay forever with us! :) But honestly, she has the opportunity to take some of her classes online and live in a different place next semester - so, why not Nashville, right? Also, with our teaching schedules it will be nice to have a babysitter (whom Wilson just adores!). We are thinking that it is going to be a great time next semester! 

Thomas has an organ recital on the calendar now! Please mark yours on January 8, 2012. He will be performing a recital at 3:00 pm at Covenant Presbyterian Church here in Nashville, TN on Fisk Opus 134. He will be performing works by Bach, Brahms, Mendelssohn and Durufle. After the recital you will have the opportunity to tour the organ - which if I can say so, is a definite 'must' - there are 4 floors that you can climb into. It's really cool! Thomas also has his website up and running! Thomas Russell - Organist Be sure to check it out - he's available for recitals, weddings and things of that sort. So, come out to Nashville and hear Thomas perform on a beautiful instrument Soli Deo Gloria. Also, please be praying that he would always offer his talents up to the true King! 

At the pumpkin patch

Also, be on the lookout here for a new installment for my blog - The Frugal Momma. 
I've been thinking and prayerfully considering posting some of my ideas, thoughts and actions concerning how to be a frugal momma for the glory of God and being a good steward of all that God has entrusted us. I hope to share some wisdom, ask others for wisdom and hope that we can all grow in Christ through what He shows us. 
In Christ,
Julie

1 comment:

  1. Hi Julie! :)

    I noticed in passing above that Wilson is 8 months old and still waking up multiple times a night. Shooee not fun-- we went through that with Eowyn, and whenever she gets sick (like this past week) she goes right back into that pattern. And maybe he usually sleeps through the night fine, I don't know, BUT I will say that I kept nursing Eowyn through the night far longer than I needed to, looking back. I almost unconsciously nursed her every time she cried at night, assuming she was hungry. Then, one day, I just decided to try to put her back in the crib without feeding her, and ...ta-da! She didn't cry, but went right to sleep. She hadn't been hungry at all-- just scared. So from then on we would just pat her back and occasionally get her out of bed for a hug (but try to keep her in her bed) when she cried at night. I also stopped dream-feeding her and found that when I did she actually slept better! It was like I wasn't letting her body learn that night-time is supposed to have a slower metabolism, without new food being put in. All that to say, if you want to, you might just want to try not feeding him next time he cries at night, and just see how it goes.

    Not sure how you feel about sleep-training, but if you do get to a point where you think Wilson needs to be taught to sleep through the night, Ferber's book is really good.

    Also this blog series (I don't recommend the blog as a whole, but certain bits are helpful):

    http://www.modgblog.com/2011/05/07/ill-be-honest-i-just-wrote-this-post-to-distract-from-whats-going-on-in-the-modg-house-today/

    http://www.modgblog.com/2011/05/10/hi-im-a-baby-sorcerer-wizard-magician-nice-to-meet-you/

    Anyway, ta-da! :)
    Love,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete