Friday, October 7, 2011

Today's Coffee: Colombian Espresso

There are two things that I have been wanting to do for a very long time now. Both are crafts and are not expensive to make at all but can be very time consuming. I have had trouble in the past with starting new things and following through only half-heartedly... but no more. The first one is the T-Shirt Rug I've been talking about for some time now. I'm not even half way done with it but I thought I would do a mini-tutorial on how I am making it. 

First, I went through all of our old t-shirts that we were just going to give away, went to Joanns and bought a latch-hook tool and a latch hook grid. 
I then cut up all the t-shirts to about 1 inch by 4 inches. You will have many hundreds of these.
Then, I stretched them all so that they would curl up.
Taking the latch hook I pull the t-shirt through...
Then I reach through the loop and grab the other ends and pull them through.
I do this for every other grid square...
This is the top... doing every other square will make it very lush...
Needless to say, this is taking many many many hours. I've probably put in over 50 so far, but I honestly think it is going to be super cool. 

The other craft involved me covering up some ugly canvas art with cooler fabric that I found. Here are the originals:
I bought these at a yard sale for $3 - not cute now but they have potential...
I then stretched the new fabric over and stapled it with a staple gun all around... well, until I ran out of staples; I will have to go back and tighten it all up once I replenish the supply.
These are the finished product - much cuter!
So, that's all for now! Just thought I would show you what I'm working on lately!

What cool DIY / cheap crafts are you making? I would love to hear about them!
In Christ,
Julie 


Original credit to T-Shirt Rug for the idea for the t-shirt rug - thanks!

3 comments:

  1. I totally admire your patience with the T-shirt rug! That's so cool! And I love the fabric covered art! Very nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me encanta todo lo que tiene que ver con reciclar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations. Loved the t-shirt rug. Gonna do one for my dogs house. They are gonna love it

    ReplyDelete