Saturday, November 19, 2011

Frugal Momma Loves Pancakes and Has a New Christmas Tree Skirt

Last Saturday we invited some new Nashville friends over for a big pancake breakfast. It was so much fun! We had to get the table out of the CRV (which, did you know? The back floor of our Honda CRV is a portable card table - genius!) and pull the leaves out of our kitchen table to fit all 9 of us! After a hearty breakfast of pancakes, fruit salad, bacon, juice and coffee we let the kids play (and make forts with our pillows) and then we wandered outside to watch the train go by. We ended up having leaf fights with all the leaves in our back yard. The weather was gorgeous and we all had a great time. I'm hoping to have a carol-sing/cider/gingerbread cookie fest in the coming weeks!

Wilson watched while holding his leaf

Some leaf-fighting action

The men

The women (and Jonah!)

Jonah! What a cutie!

Wilson has two little bottom teeth now! He's so cute (well, cuter than before!). They are still quite short, but they have cut through and thankfully, he is only waking up once a night now. 

Love the one dimple.

Sometimes the way our schedule works out we must hang out at the church while Thomas practices. We did this yesterday because I got my first baroque violin lesson. I'm playing with Music City Baroque for their Messiah performance. Anyone that knows me and my musical taste knows that ever since I saw Andrew Manze perform when I was back in middle school, knows that Baroque violin is my dream. I'm so happy that I can finally get involved and start doing it. After yesterday, I'm pretty sure I can be a happy violinist dealing only in early music. We'll see. :)

So, Wilson and I play while Daddy practices.

My Frugal Momma segment is a mini-tutorial on how to make a No-Sew Ruffle Christmas Tree Skirt. I saw this on Pinterest and decided that this was definitely for me. Ever since I got married I just used cheap tablecloths or something to put under the tree because I couldn't justify spending $20 on a skirt. This was so easy!

You will need:
-about 4 yards of fabric
-scissors
-lots of hot glue
-something to glue the ruffles on 
(I bought a Dollar Tree table cloth and cut the corners round and then cut a slit down one side)

Here is my base. $1 tablecloth with cut/rounded corners

I chose red and white (mainly because that's what I had) and cut into long strips about 2.5 inches wide

Starting on rim, I put about 6 in. of hot glue and then glued a strip down making a ruffle about ever inch.  Then you do the same thing with your second strip on top of the first.

I did that all the way around - and here's what it looks like!

Easy to make and super chic! Now if only we had a tree! :)

In Christ,
Frugal Momma

1 comment:

  1. VERY cute Christmas tree skirt! Seriously! Sorry to hear about your Granny! I had a wonderful Grandmother, too with lots of memories. I never really had a "happy place" that I went to in my mind... lol... but now that she is gone I think about her and my Grampie and it has become my "happy place." Sometimes I just think about being a kid in their house before falling asleep and replay my memories while drifting off!

    ReplyDelete